Sunday, April 26, 2015

Week 13 #3: Isle of dreams

I have had a friend visiting from Thursday until today, and we were exploring a bit of Glasgow and Scotland.
Friday we explored Glasgow Botanic Gardens, I will post an entry about that during the next week, and yesterday we went on a trip to Oban and Isle of Seil, aka isle of dreams. And sheep.





The morning started out relatively peculiar, and lets just say that the bus trip falls under that category as well.



The first stop of the morning where Luss, as little town at the shore of Loch Lomond, the longest lake in Great Britain. Luss is very small and there is not much to see, but it does have a beautiful view, although it is not a place where I would probably stop more than once. What saved Luss for me was a fresh-out of the oven scone.
After Luss we went up north towards Oban,but we had a brief stop at a church before we reached Oban.

 


The view when driving into Oban was quite extraordinary, but Oban offered all kinds of weather, mainly just confirming that we were still within Scottish borders. We walked up the hills into some sort of rip-off Colosseum, but with a windy and great view of the city and harbor.



And you could see all the isles strewn across the water.



After the Colosseum we walked past a chocolate factory and almost headed up towards the broken castle, but I decided to just go halfway there and zoom the rest of the way with my camera.



After lunch, we left Oban and headed towards Atlantic Bridge, which is the bridge that connects mainland to the isle. It is said that if you walk across Atlantic Bridge you will become lucky, I'm still waiting on that to happen. After having stopped at Atlantic Bridge we went onward and finally stopped in a small town.

 


Here we got off the bus and climbed up the fell (mountain) encountering several sheep and lambs. However, we managed to climb high enough that no sheep wanted to follow us, and that probably says more about us than about the sheep...
However, I assume the sheep don't climb the fells because of the view, and as such we can't really blame them. The view from up top was amazing. Breathtaking even, and it was so windy.



People were doing jumping pictures, but I am fairly certain that I had I done so I would have been blown away somewhere unfortunate.


After having walked around the fell for a bit we decided to backtrack and go down, and it's not nearly as easy to get down as it is to get up, but we managed.

 


Down in the souvenir shop there were a couple of sheepskins that I fell in love with because they were soft and fluffy and warm, but they absolutely felt wrong. The back of the skin felt like parchment, and it was neither bendable nor soft to the touch. Walking around the shop and feeling the different types of "authentic" sheepskin gloves and shoes it became apparent that it was not sheep and had never in it's life seen a sheep. That made the decision for me.

          

The trip back to Glasgow was relatively uneventful and I dosed off for a while. Today I sent my friend back to Denmark, knowing that soon it's going to my turn as well.

With the world right at my feet 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice... :)

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS