Monday, April 18, 2016

Paris #4 Let them eat cake!

You may have noticed I have a bit of an affection for old royal palaces. Last year I had a spontaneous trip to Kensington Palace (link), and today the trip went to Versailles. It was horribly cold outside, but probably also because we were up three hours earlier than we have been the past couple of days. I was tired of trying to fit my black spring coat places around me without ruining, so I'd adorned my blue rain coat which can fold into itself.




Versailles is full of gold and it's really beautiful. What ticked me off, though, was all the tourists and horribly long lines everywhere. Especially the tourists who have no respect whatsoever for other people, and just stand in their way. We went around Versailles, but the Queen's apartments were closed for restoration for the next two years.

 
 


We walked through the palace, but I was getting a migraine from lack of espresso, and Cécile was getting hungry, so we settled for the restaurant at Versailles. I'm not completely sure how to describe that experience. First of all, I ate at Versailles - in Versailles. The waiters were super, super formal. So formal that I have never experienced that anywhere else in the world.

 


The food was... amazing. I had minced mushrooms and a soft boiled egg, and it was gone in 30 seconds. However, Cécile was kinda laughing at me the whole time because I kept craning my neck to see all the beautiful food being carried around. And don’t forget the cake. The cake. Well. I had an éclair praliné which was also really amazing.

 

After having seen the inside of Versailles we wanted to go into the gardens, but there was a musical event and neither of us felt like paying more for that, so we went back into Paris. Because we were both so cold we went home and had tea and hot chocolate. I dozed off for about 30 minutes and Cécile did something else.


 
 

After having had dinner we went for a boat trip on the Seine. We were trying to take good pictures with my camera, but I use it so rarely I let Cécile mess around with the settings on it. She was rather successful, so it wasn’t a bad thing to let her do it. The boat trip around Ile de la Cité and Saint Louis was a really lovely thing. It wasn’t too cold, but that might be due to the fact that I wore my winter coat.

 
 

When we tried to get home, we had to change subway line at the Opéra, but the station was closed due to a mysterious package. Rather than taking lines at random and spending an hour getting home, we decided to walk instead and enjoyed a very quiet Paris.

 

On the way home we were trying to come up with excuses why we should have an extra dinner, so right now we’re sitting with the remnants of that final dinner before going to bed. We both too hyped to actually think about sleep right now.


Tomorrow we’ll be walking out feet off in order to see more of Paris, and it’s going to be amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot! outlook 365 login

    ReplyDelete

Be nice... :)

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS